I’m on a mission to save breakfast. I’m an evangelical breakfast zealot.
Now, I’m not picking on the people who bolt out the door with nothing but a cup of coffee and a banana. If that’s working for you then keep doing it.
But if you’re feeling a slump mid-morning, or having a hard time focusing your brain, or perhaps you’re not as trim and healthy as you’d like to be, you might focus some thought on how you’re starting your day.
Turns out Mother was right. There are lots of reasons to start your day with a proper breakfast.
By proper; I mean breakfasts that don’t have frosting. (I’m looking at you, poptart!)
Breakfast starts the day with essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals that improves strength, endurance and brain function. That’s good. People who eat a healthy breakfast reduce hunger throughout the day which helps them make better food choices at other meals. That’s good, too.
Now just because breakfast shouldn’t be covered in frosting doesn’t mean it can’t satisfy your sweet tooth. What if peach cobbler and French toast had a baby? You were just thinking that too, right? I decided to force the marriage and the result is this creamy, fruity, protein packed breakfast-y casserole.
If you like a savory twist to breakfast casserole you’ll LOVE this – Hatch Chili and Tomato Casserole
This will quickly become a family favorite for weekend brunch. But if you plan it makes a perfect weekday breakfast. It can be prepared the night before and popped in the oven first thing in the morning to fill the house with luscious sweet peach, brown sugar and vanilla fragrance. Wouldn’t that make your morning better? I thought so.
PEACHES AND CREAM BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
What You’ll Need:
- 6 to 8 cups bread cubes – I use cinnamon bread but use any bread you like
- One (14 oz.) can sliced peaches in light syrup – syrup reserved
- 10 eggs
- 2 cups milk or half and half
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup brown sugar – divided
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons oats
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place cubed bread in a lightly greased 9×13 baking pan.
- Everyone should have several 9×13 pans! I love this one – Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish, Clear 8.9 Inch X 13.2 Inch – 3 Qt
- Drain peaches reserving syrup. Place peaches evenly over the bread.
- Crack eggs into mixing bowl and add milk, reserved syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Blend until thoroughly combined.
- Cut cream cheese into small cubes and distribute evenly around the peaches and bread then sprinkle with half the brown sugar.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan. Let the bread soak up all the goodness for at least 5 minutes, or overnight if that’s what you’re doing.
- When you’re ready to bake, sprinkle the remaining brown sugar and oatmeal. Bake for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Oh, the divine smell! Vanilla, peaches, cinnamon, toasting bread. OMG.
Diva Tip – Instant variety! You can substitute canned apricots, pears, tropical fruit medley or fruit cocktail and make a whole different amazing breakfast casserole! The mind boggles.
On occasion, we top ours with a little vanilla ice cream because I want to be the popular Mom.
When I’m not being the popular Mom I don’t top it with anything because it really doesn’t need anything.
But, a little syrup might find its way onto the plate.
Or a dollop of Greek yogurt.
Oh, God! I must really want to be popular!